My work revolves around the study of galaxy clusters and their constituents: dark matter, the intra-cluster medium, and galaxies. I am primarily interested in the most massive clusters in the Universe and have specialized in finding these rare objects through their X-ray emission. Giant clusters offer spectacular opportunities to investigate a huge range of extragalactic science, from violent galaxy evolution by ram-pressure stripping, through the dynamics of dark-matter collisions, to the properties of the first generation of galaxies, revealed by gravitational lensing.
I am a heavy user of 8m-class telescopes on Maunakea, HST, and the Chandra X-ray Observatory.
Other interests of mine include teaching (high-school to graduate level) and long-distance running.
I am the Principal Investigator of several ongoing projects, all involving both giant galaxy clusters and lots of collaborators from around the globe.
- eMACS (extended MAssive Cluster Survey)
- Hubble Frontier Fields
- Jellyfish: extreme ram-pressure stripping in massive clusters
- MACS (MAssive Cluster Survey)
- Some 180 papers in peer-reviewed journals - see link below for a full list.
- ASTR699: Directed Research (masters level)
- ASTR800: PhD Dissertation Research
- PI of dozens of extramural grants (NASA, HST, Chandra, XMM...) totaling over $5M.
- Lukas Zalesky, 2019, AST699, AStroLens: Automatic Strong-Lens Modeling of X-ray Selected Galaxy Clusters, Zalesky L. & Ebeling H., 2020, MNRAS, in press
- Boris Kalita, 2018, 4-month research internship, Jellyfish: Ram-pressure stripping as a diagnostic tool in studies of cluster collisions, Ebeling H. & Kalita B., 2019, ApJ, 882, 127; Jellyfish: Resolving the kinematics of extreme ram-pressure stripping at z~0.3, Kalita & Ebeling, 2019, ApJ, 887, 158
- Jia Qi, 2016, Summer Research Project, Fully stripped? The dynamics of dark and luminous matter in the massive cluster collision MACSJ0553.4-3342, Ebeling, Qi, and Richard, 2017, MNRAS, 471, 3305
- Kelly Blumenthal, 2015, AST699
- Conor McPartland, 2014, AST699, Jellyfish: the origin and distribution of extreme ram-pressure stripping events in massive galaxy clusters, McPartland et al., 2016, MNRAS, 455, 2994
- Andrew Repp, 2014, AST699, A systematic search for lensed high-redshift galaxies in HST images of MACS clusters, Repp, Ebeling & Richard, 2016, MNRAS, 457, 1399
- Lauren Stephenson, 2013, AST699, Jellyfish: Evidence of Extreme Ram-pressure Stripping in Massive Galaxy Clusters , Ebeling, Stephenson & Edge, 2014, ApJ, 781, L40
- Li-Yen Hsu, 2012, AST699, The three-dimensional geometry and merger history of the massive galaxy cluster MACS J0358.8-2955 , Hsu, Ebeling & Richard, 2013, MNRAS, 429, 833
- I-Ting Ho, 2012, AST699, An X-ray/optical study of the geometry and dynamics of MACS J0140.0-0555, a massive post-collision cluster merger, Ho, Ebeling & Richard, 2013, MNRAS, 426, 1992
- Chao-Ling Hung, 2011, AST699, Galaxy alignments in very X-ray luminous clusters at z > 0.5, Hung & Ebeling, 2012, MNRAS, 421, 3229
- Andrew Mann, 2011, AST699, X-ray-optical classification of cluster mergers and the evolution of the cluster merger fraction, Mann & Ebeling, 2012, MNRAS, 420, 2120
- Cheng-Jiun Ma, 2010, PhD Dissertation, The Impact of Environment on the Evolution of Galaxies in the Most X-ray Luminous Clusters at z > 0.5, List of peer-reviewed publications
- Anthony Zenn, 2009, AST699, Cluster or QSO? Identifying 1RXSJ114720.0-125253, Zenn & Ebeling, 2010, A&A, 524, 30
- Jeffrey Rich, 2008, AST699
- Jeyhan Kartaltepe, 2007, AST699, Probing the large-scale structure around the most distant galaxy clusters from the massive cluster survey, Kartaltepe et al., 2008, MNRAS, 389, 1240
- David Donovan, 2007, PhD Dissertation, A Weak Lensing Analysis of Massive Galaxy Clusters at 0.3 < z < 0.7, List of peer-reviewed publications
- Elizabeth Barrett, 2006, PhD Dissertation, The Assembly of Massive Galaxy Clusters: A Joint X-ray–Optical Study, List of peer-reviewed publications
- Dalibor Kocevski, 2006, PhD Dissertation, Clusters in the Zone of Avoidance, List of peer-reviewed publications