- B.Sc. in Physics & Mathematics, 1971, Glasgow University
- Ph.D. in Physics, 1980, Boston University
The Epoch of Reionization
- The sources of ionizing radiation at z > 6
- Observational effects of hydrogen and helium reionization of the intergalactic medium from quasar absorption lines
Metals in the Intergalactic Medium
- The presence and distribution of metals in the intergalactic medium at high redshift
- The evolution of the metallicity of the intergalactic medium
Cosmology from observations of quasar absorption lines
- The temperature of the cosmic microwave background at high redshift
- Constraints on the variability of fundamental constants
Galaxy formation and evolution
- Lyman Alpha Emitting galaxies as probes of galaxy formation & evolution
- Imaging and spectroscopy of faint galaxy samples
- Gas in galaxy halos and its relation to galaxy formation
- A. Songaila & L. L. Cowie 2014, ApJ, 793, 103.
Constraining the Variation of the Fine-Structure Constant with Observations of Narrow Quasar Absorption Lines
- A. Songaila & L. L. Cowie 2010, ApJ, 721, 1448.
The Evolution of Lyman Limit Absorption Systems to Redshift Six
- A. Songaila 2005, AJ, 130, 1996.
The Properties of Intergalactic C IV Absorption, I: Optimal Analysis of an Extremely High S/N Quasar Sample
- A. Songaila 2004, AJ, 127, 2598.
The Evolution of the Intergalactic Medium Transmission to Redshift 6
- A. Songaila & L. L. Cowie 2002, AJ, 123, 2183.
Approaching Reionization: The Evolution of the Ly alpha Forest from z = 4 to z = 6
- A. Songaila, 2001, ApJ 561, L153.
The Minimum Universal Metal Density between Redshifts of 1.5 and 5.5
Antoinette Songaila Cowie *
IfA Mānoa, B-219